• image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image
  • image

International Student Information

15011 0213 internationalstudentinfo 300Thinking about studying at JPII in Melbourne?

Students from outside Australia should check with the Australian Diplomatic Mission in their country regarding the requirements for entry to Australia for study purposes. You should not attempt to enter Australia on a tourist visa and then transfer to student status.

Our pdf International Student Guide (106 KB)  has useful information about studying at the JPII Institute and the facilities and services you may need when you come to live in Melbourne.

Enrolling at JPII

Step 1

International students wishing to enrol at the JPII institute in Melbourne should download and complete the following form:

pdf Application for Admission – International Students (235 KB)

Step 2

To complete the application you will need the following supporting documentation:

  • Three passport-sized phtographs
  • Certified copies of all past degree certificates and academic transcripts
  • Contact details for referees able to comment on your academic background, professional work etc.
  • Proof of English language proficiency (if English is your second language). Where possible, this is to be conducted in your own country. An overall minimum IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 7.0 is required.
  • Curriculum vitae
  • A statement of your professional objectives, career achievements, reasons for wanting to undertake the course, and any relevant skills, experience, training and interests.

Staff at any Australian diplomatic mission can certify copies. Any documents not in English must also have certified translations. 

Please note: the Institute is unable to return documents sent by students. 

Step 3

Send the completed form, supporting documents and photos to:

The Registrar
John Paul II Institute for Marriage & Family
PO Box 146
East Melbourne VIC 8002

Working while studying in Australia

Initial student visas do not provide for the holder to be granted permission to work in Australia. You and your dependants will only be able to apply for a student visa with work rights after you arrive in Australia and you have commenced your course of study.

Generally, you and your dependants are limited to 20 hours of work per week while your course of study is in session. You may work full-time during holiday periods. Dependants of Subclass 574 Master’s and Doctorate students have unlimited work rights after the principal student visa holder has commenced their course of study. A student visa is subject to mandatory cancellation if a student works in excess of their entitlements.

Housing & Accommodation

Although the Institute does not provide on-campus housing for its students, there is a range of accommodation options available, and we can help find one to suit you.

The Institute is within walking distance of several hotels and other temporary accommodation that offer suitable options for students studying shorter-term courses.

For students studying longer courses, accommodation may be arranged at other university colleges. Mannix College is a Catholic residential college at Monash University in Clayton, administered by the Dominican Order. The suburb of Clayton is not close to the Institute—it is about 40 minutes by train. However, Mannix college offers many services for international students, which makes it an attractive option, especially for those engaged in doctoral research who are not required to travel to the Institute for lectures on a daily basis. For more information, see www.mannix.monash.edu 

The University of Melbourne has residential colleges which sometimes have vacancies for external students. It is approximetely 3km away, and is well-serviced by public transport. See www.unimelb.edu.au 

Many students live in privately leased flats and student houses close to the Institute in the suburbs of Collingwood, Fitzroy and Carlton. These suburbs have a strong supply of student accommodation and services since they are located near the Australian Catholic University, RMIT, Victoria University and the University of Melbourne. For further information, contact the Real Estate agents operating in the area. See www.realestate.com.au 

We also recommend the RMIT housing advisory service: www.rmit.edu.au 

The student body at JPII is a very warm and welcoming one, and current students have often provided new students with a place to stay.

Clerical students and those from religious orders often find accommodation in presbyteries or religious communities. The Superiors of these students are advised to make a formal request to the Vicar-General of the Archdiocese of Melbourne well in advance of the student's arrival in Australia. Information on places available in parishes is available through the Vicar-General's office: email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or from convents through consulting the Australian National Catholic Directory: www.catholicdirectory.com.au

For further information about accommodation, contact the Dean on (+61 3) 9417 4349 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

melbourne 860

Living in Melbourne

Melbourne is the capital of the state of Victoria and the second largest city in Australia. It has a population of over four million people.

Melbourne is often voted the world’s ‘most liveable city’, and enjoys clean air, beautiful parks and gardens, bays and beaches. The city centre is within walking distance of the Institute and has world class shopping, historical architecture and entertainment.

Melbourne has been called Australia’s ethnic and culinary capital, and is enriched by over 170 ethnic groups. The city’s Chinatown and Vietnamese quarter are within an easy walk of the Institute, with cuisine to suit every palate and a student’s budget. 

The city and surrounding suburbs are well serviced by a public transport. Outside Melbourne there are beaches, mountains, rivers and valleys. 

Melbourne hosts:

• an International Comedy Festival 
• an International Festival of the Arts 
• a Chinese New Year Parade 
• the Moomba Festival 
• annual Vietnamese, Italian and Greek festivals.

International sporting events include:

• the AFL (Australian football championships) 
• a Spring Horse Racing Carnival (including the famous Melbourne Cup)
• the Australian Open (Grand Slam tennis) 
• the Grand Prix Motor Race 
• World Series and Test cricket
• the Bells Beach Surf Classic.

For more information about what is happening in Melbourne, see: www.visitmelbourne.com

Melbourne has a temperate climate. Woollen pull-overs and coats are worn in winter but you won't need alpine standard clothing (unless you want to visit the snowfields in winter, two hours’ drive from Melbourne). 

During the Paschaltide (or First) Semester of the Academic Year, it is autumn in Melbourne and the average temperature is 11 to 20ºC.

During the Assumptiontide (or Second) Semester Melbourne enjoys spring weather, with an average temperature of 9 to 19ºC.

During the Summer break, between academic years, the temperature rises to an average of 13 to 26ºC and the days are longer due to daylight savings, with warmer evenings. The temperature in summer can reach 40ºC.

During the Winter break, between semesters, the temperature falls to an average of 6 to 14ºC.

Costs of living in Australia

For information on the costs of living in Australia, see: 


The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act provides the regulatory requirements for education and training institutions offering courses to international students in Australia on a student visa. ESOS provides tuition protection for international students.

Note: The Institute does not employ Education Agents in any country.

More in this category: « Scholarships Apply Now »